Income tax is the City of Circleville’s largest single source of revenue. The City is a member of the Regional Income Tax Agency (also known as RITA), which provides services to collect income tax for municipalities in the State of Ohio. The City also maintains a local income tax office, open two days a week, to provide additional taxpayer assistance and coordinate efforts with RITA to maximize compliance with the Circleville Income Tax Ordinance.
New Tax Rate (eff. Jan 1, 2020 -): 2.5%
Credit – 100% credit up to 2.5% for municipal taxes paid elsewhere
Old Tax Rate (eff. Jan. 1, 2015 – 2019): 2.0%
Credit – 100% up to 2.0% for municipal taxes paid elsewhere
Prior Rate (eff. 1988 -2014): 1.5%
Credit – 50% credit up to 1.5% for municipal taxes paid elsewhere
Mandatory Filing For All Residents
Every Circleville resident 18 years of age or older must file a Circleville return, whether or not tax is due. Partial year residents are also required to file.
RITA offers the following free services through its website, call center, and regional office locations:
- E-File — a quick, easy and secure way to file taxes online.
- E-Payment — a convenient, simple and secure method to pay taxes online.
- E-Registration — a fast and simple electronic method for new taxpayers to register.
- My Account — online access to account information, including refund status.
- Fillable Forms — download fillable forms with automated calculations that may be printed.
- FAQ’s — obtain answers to common questions and tax form preparation examples online.
- Call Center — access account information and make payments by phone.
- Walk-In Assistance — visit any RITA office location for walk-in taxpayer assistance.
To learn more, visit RITA’s website.
Every taxpayer who anticipates owing $200.00 or more must estimate their taxes and make quarterly payments on the anticipated tax due. A declaration of estimated tax must be filed by April 15 and can be shown on RITA’s income tax return (line 20 of Form 37). Estimated payments are due April 15, June 15, September 15, and December 15. Bills are only generated for the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th quarters.